Designer submissions due February 17, 2013
Download Guidelines and Applications below
The history of Hmong art is rooted and sewn into the fabrics of traditional Hmong clothing where the unique combination of vibrant colors and textures makes the Hmong identifiable. Fresh Traditions is a culturally inspired fashion event that exhibits the creativity, originality, and quality of work by Hmong fashion designers.
The Fresh Traditions Challenge: Each designer is given creative freedom to design a collection; however they are required to incorporate the use of 5 traditional Hmong fabrics in the design of one full look.
Fabric choice may vary, but must include the following hues:
- Hot pink
- Neon blue
- Neon green
- Black velvet
- Black satin
- Completed Application Form
- Work Samples
- One original and completed garment submission of your choice.
- 4-6 images of concept sketches for possible designs for FTVII collection
Please take note:
- A max of 2 designers may participate as a duo designer group. Complete the Duo Designer Application
- Only completed application requirements will be considered.
- Application materials can be mailed or dropped off to the Center for Hmong Arts & Talent. Please provide a
self-addressed return envelope or package if you are mailing in your submissions and wish to have them returned in the same manner.
***Emailed applications and digital images (jpeg) will be accepted. Please email applications & digital images (jpeg) to email@example.com. However, the work sample garment submission must be dropped off or mailed to the Center for Hmong Arts & Talent: 995 University Ave Suite 220. Saint Paul, MN 55104.
Requirements for Participation:
Designers unable to meet ALL requirements cannot participate.
- At least one design from the collection must meet the Fresh Traditions Challenge (use of all 5 traditional Hmong fabrics).
- Create a quality collection of at least 7, and/or a maximum of 9, completed and original looks (including the Fresh Traditions Challenge design).
- Attendance and participation of:
- Monthly designer meetings/workshops with the Fresh Traditions Committee
- 1-2 promotional events TBD
For more information, contact Nonmala Xiong at LabelNX@gmail.com